Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Kids' Clothes Week Day 2

It has been so much fun to be a part of KCW!  I am excited to show you my second project for the week:


It's another outfit for my little man Norman.  The sweatshirt is from an Ottobre pattern, Spring 2011 issue.  I was really intimidated when I saw the pattern sheet and cryptic construction directions, but the sweatshirt actually came together very easily!  I altered it for winter by lengthening the sleeves and adding a cuff detail.


I made the body of the sweatshirt from red french terry and lined it with heathered gray knit from girlcharlee.com.


Using the pants print as inspiration, I appliqued a little elephant onto the sweatshirt.  I was hoping the stitching would stand out a bit more rather than blending into the fabric.


I really like the stitching detail on the cuffs and hood because it kind of looks like a coverstitch.  I only have a four-thread serger, so I can't do a real coverstitch.  I really liked the look of this though, and I will definitely use it again for hemming knits in the future!


Norman loves his "elephant pants."  I went out on a limb and used home dec fabric for these, and I think they turned out great!  Like most of the pants I make, they are self drafted and based loosely on Dana's tutorial at dana-made-it.com.


I love how the white piping detail turned out!  I also love how I was able to do the placement of the elephants on the pockets--it looks like they are talking to each other :)


Thanks for stopping by!  Come back again soon--I still have lots of fun things in store for KCW!

4 comments:

  1. I love the bold colors with the mod elephants, and the piping is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is great Heidi! So fun to see your creativity and talents!
    Shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful info. Hope to see more posts soon!
    bed sheet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete